Thursday, October 1, 2009

Slackline Diagram

   Two years ago, at burningman, I tried out a slackline and thought it was a blast. So I went and bought some webbing and started playing with it on my own. After some trial and error and watching some bad youtube videos, I managed to be get it setup and taught with the help of about five people pulling on it. Then I met a fellow juggler, Nate Williams, at the 4th annual Berkeley Juggling & Unicycle Festival who gave me some good tips for easy slackline setup. I liked it enough to draw out a diagram so that I could remember how to do it. The best part is the line locker, which is just a 3/8" chain link. It's easy to setup, holds the line flat, and comes out easy with no tight knots to fight with later. Also, I now use only friction to hold the line as shown in the diagram, whereas I used to tie it off. One other nice thing is the 3x multiplier which makes it so that I can pull the line tight by myself.

   My friends and I decided to build a theme camp (Circus Bootcamp) at burningman in 2008, so I built a wood frame for the slackline. I set set it up at ocean beach to test out the anchors, which are the screw type from McMaster-Carr. It worked fine, but the anchors were very difficult to install and remove in the playa.


Slackline setup at Ocean Beach, San Francisco:


Slackline at Circus Bootcamp, 2008:


And here's a great photo of a burner jumping on my line:

5 comments:

  1. Hi, I want to build a pair of a-frames like you did. Can you tell me the dimensions you have used in yours?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are roughly 3 feet tall, 2 feet wide at the top, and 3 feet wide at the bottom. That's a good size for up to about 25 feet of line. Beyond that, you may need to scale up to get enough height in the center.

    I saw some nice slacklines at BurningMan this year that had just 2 boards, about 1"x8", bolted together in an off-center X like this:
    ..\/
    ../\
    ./..\
    /....\
    It's much simpler, but I need to experiment with it before I can make any good recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two years ago, at burningman, I tried out a slackline and thought it was a blast. So I went and bought some webbing and started playing with it on my own. slackline

    ReplyDelete
  4. You truly did more than visitors’ expectations. Thank you for rendering these helpful, trusted, edifying and in addition cool thoughts on the topic. Canadian mail order marijuana

    ReplyDelete
  5. As i relished examining your own personal post and also found which being helpful and also concise. Thanks intended for not necessarily rambling in and also in simply to complete ones website. 1956 california license plate

    ReplyDelete